Rick MacLeish

1950-2016

N.H.L Player

Born in Cannington
14 seasons, 12 with Philadelphia
​2 Stanley Cup wins in 1974 & 1975

Some Local Notables

To research, collect and preserve local historical information and area artifacts,
e.g., old time family photos, newspapers and genealogical, cemetery and census records;
to serve as the archives for the Township of Brock;

Maude C. Davison

1885-1956
WW I & II Veteran

Born in Cannington
​D.S.M., Commander of the 'Angels of Bataan'

​Preserving the Past, Protecting the Present, Enlightening the Future

Timothy Findley

1930 - 2002
Canadian Author

Resident of Stone Orchards near Cannington

The Cannington & Area Historical Society held its first meeting in January 1976. Its purpose is to promote interest in local history, the collection and restoration of community artifacts and the preservation of heritage buildings with historical significance to the area.

To disseminate information on material collected by holding general meetings and workshops; providing interpretive tours to museum guests and school classes

To maintain the Museum:

  •  by preserving (and restoring),
  •  by displaying (visiting the museum),
  •  by entertaining (telling a story),
  •  by educating (delivering a lesson).

To encourage the preservation of heritage buildings with historical significance to this area, e.g., secure designation under the Heritage Act or Brock Heritage plaque program; saving structures by relocation to the Museum site in MacLeod Park;

Robert Holmes

1861-1930
Canadian Artist

Born in Cannington

Mark Johnson

To promote an interest in the local history of people and place

Contact us if you have any questions or wish to schedule a tour.

Our Mission

The Cannington Historical Museum, owned and operated by the Historical Society, displays some of the collection. It was established in 1977 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Village of Cannington and is located in MacLeod Park. The museum features five restored heritage buildings from Brock Township: Brandon Log Cabin, Francis Log House, Loyal Orange Lodge Hall (Derryville Hall), a Driving Shed and the Cannington Railway Station and Caboose. The Cannington & Area Historical Society office is located in the Blacksmith Shop at 21 Laidlaw Street South, which was recently acquired by the Historical Society.